Peppercorn-Crusted Sirloin Tip with Blackberry Pan Sauce
- 3 lb (1.5 kg) sirloin tip roast
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each coarsely ground pepper and kosher salt
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each chopped fresh rosemary and thyme (or 1/4 tsp/1 mL each dried)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Beef Sirloin Tip
Blackberry Pan Sauce
- In a skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat; cook shallots for 2 minutes or until softened. Pour in wine; simmer for 2 minutes or until slightly reduced.
- Add blackberries, broth, apple juice, vinegar and sugar; simmer for 5 minutes or until berries are tender. Whisk cornstarch with 1 tbsp (15 mL) water; whisk into sauce. Simmer for 2 or 3 minutes or until thickened. Slowly stir in butter until melted.
- Let roast come to room temperature for up to 1 hour (no longer).
- In small bowl, combine olive oil, pepper, salt, rosemary, thyme and garlic to make a thick paste; rub all over roast.
- Transfer to baking sheet. Roast in 500°F (260°C) oven for 20 minutes; reduce heat to 275°F (125°C) and roast for 1 hour or until thermometer inserted into centre reaches 140°F (60°C) for medium. Transfer to cutting board and tent with foil.
- Meanwhile, create Blackberry Pan Sauce (see above)
- Slice beef; serve with blackberry sauce, roasted potatoes and green beans.