White Wine–Poached Salmon with Pesto Rice
Bright, fresh and balanced, this rice bowl is packed with flavour, colour and texture. Gently poaching salmon with High Road Cellars Pinot Grigio gives the fish a tender, buttery texture while adding notes of white peach, apple and fresh citrus. This dry, crisp wine lends itself perfectly for cooking and enjoying with your meal.
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 2 small shallots, finely diced
- 16 oz (500 mL) High Road Cellars Pinot Grigio
- 1 tsp (5 mL) freshly grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) freshly squeezed lemon juice, divided
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 salmon fillets (each about 3 oz/90 g)
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt, divided
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) black pepper
- 1 cup (250 mL) long-grain white rice
- 1 cup (250 mL) packed chopped kale
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) packed torn fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) olive oil
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) toasted slivered almonds
- In large, high-sided skillet set over medium heat, melt butter. Add shallots and cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 5 minutes or until softened and fragrant.
- Add High Road Cellars Pinot Grigio, lemon zest, 2 tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice and thyme; bring to a gentle simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low. Gently add salmon to skillet. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, occasionally spooning cooking liquid over top, until salmon is very tender and flakes easily with fork. Gently remove salmon from cooking liquid (discard cooking liquid). Season salmon with 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, prepare rice according to package directions or until tender. Fluff with fork and keep warm.
- To food processor, add kale, basil, Parmesan, garlic, oil, remaining 2 tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice and remaining 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt. Pulse until smooth and well combined.
- Add half the kale pesto mixture to rice and stir to combine. Divide evenly among serving plates. Top evenly with salmon and remaining pesto mixture. Garnish evenly with almonds before serving.