Easy Cabernet Sauvignon Braised Short Ribs
Rich and robust, these red-wine braised short ribs are absolutely mouth watering.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 hours 10 minutes
- Total Time: 4 hours 30 minutes
- Serves: 6
Wine Pairing: Colio Estate Wines Cellar Door Series Cabernet Sauvignon
- 6 beef short ribs (about 3 1/2 lb/1.6 kg)
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) tomato paste
- 2 cups (500 mL) Colio Estate Wines Cellar Door Series Cabernet Sauvignon
- 1 cup (250 mL) sodium-reduced beef broth
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped fresh chives
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). Season short ribs with salt and pepper. Heat oil in large Dutch oven or saucepan set over medium heat. Sear ribs, in three batches, for 8 to 10 minutes or until starting to brown all over. Transfer to plate.
- Add onion, carrot, celery, garlic, thyme and rosemary to Dutch oven; cook for 5 to 8 minutes or until slightly softened. Stir in tomato paste; cook for 2 minutes. Stir in wine and broth; bring to boil. Return short ribs to pan.
- Cover and transfer to oven. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours or until meat is very tender.
- Garnish with chives before serving.
Tip: As a variation, add bacon and sliced mushrooms to short ribs.