Whipped Ricotta and Balsamic Mushroom Toasts
Easy yet elegant, this delicious appetizer or snack is perfect for entertaining or enjoying during happy hour. Earthy mushrooms are roasted with bright balsamic vinegar and paired with creamy ricotta cheese, which perfectly complement the wine’s deep and expressive notes of dark berries, chocolate and black currants.
- 4 cups (1 L) sliced mixed mushrooms
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) olive oil, divided
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced, divided
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt, divided
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) black pepper
- 1 small baguette, cut into sixteen 1/4-inch (0.5 cm) slices
- 1 cup (250 mL) ricotta cheese
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried oregano
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh chives
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- In large bowl, toss mushrooms with 2 tbsp (30 mL) oil, vinegar, half the garlic, thyme, 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt and pepper; arrange on parchment paper–lined baking sheet (reserve bowl).
- Roast, stirring halfway through, for 12 to 15 minutes or until tender, browned and lightly crisped around the edges. Cover loosely with foil to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl, stir together remaining 2 tbsp (30 mL) oil and remaining garlic.
- In reserved bowl, toss baguette slices with garlic oil mixture, and season with pinch salt and pepper.
- Transfer to another parchment paper–lined baking sheet and arrange in single layer.
- Bake for 5 to 8 minutes or until lightly golden and toasted.
- In medium bowl, using whisk or handheld electric mixer, whip ricotta with oregano and remaining salt until fluffy. Spread evenly among baguette slices.
- Top evenly with mushrooms and garnish with chives.
- Serve with High Road Cellars Cabernet Merlot.